On Wednesday 21 Jan 2004 1:15 pm, R.I.Clarke C0052175 wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>       Im am pretty much a newbie to Mandrake. For my degree I need to get hold
> of the source code for DrakX. If anyone could point me in the right
> direction i would be very grateful.
>
>       thank you
>
>       Richard

Source code for all packages are on the mirrors. For example
ftp://ftp.rediris.es/pub/linux/distributions/mandrake/9.2/SRPMS

These are .src.rpm packages if you just click on them with konqueror, they
will install themselves into /usr/src/RPM/SOURCES  for the source code, and
the spec file which describes how the RPM is built will install into
/usr/src/RPM/SPECS.

You can compile a binary RPM from the source simply by cd ing to the SPEC
folder and entering
rpmbuild -bc specfile

see man 'rpmbuild'

Naturally you will need any compilers or 'devel packages the source needs to
be installed before it will compile successfully.

HTH

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net