On Wednesday 21 January 2004 05:13 pm, Colin O'Connor wrote:
> Thanks for the help on my last question. I hopefully won't be asking too
> many more...
>
> Has anyone found problems installing/running Mandrake on AMD Athlon or
> Duron processors?
>
> Thanks,
> Colin

Colin:
Well, I've had four AMD's, starting with a K6-2-300 and Mandrake 7.0 and
working up to my present XP2500+ and 9.2. Any problems were all on this side
of the case. (I also had a 486DX4-120 back in my DR-DOS days -- it, too,
worked very well.) The big deal with Athlons is (1) make sure that you have a
good power supply (see the AMD site for recommendations) and (2) there ain't
no such thing as too much cooling.

Perhaps more important than the CPU is the chipset. I've always had VIA's.
There were some problems with them several years ago, but, as near as I can
tell, they pretty much have their act under control now.
-- cmg