On Wednesday 21 January 2004 11:13 am, Charles A Edwards wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 15:19:43 GMT
>
> "keanboon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Mandrake 6,7, 8, 9.....
> >
> > Pentium 60Mhz or 486
> > 16 RAM
> > and I'm not using GUI
>
> With that set-up it will have to be 6 or 7.
> You would not even be able to install 7.2 and on.
>

>     Charles

NONE of the Mandrake's compiled for a Pentium will work.  The only version to
try would be the 7.0 version for 486 (still available at cheapbytes.com).  I
got it to run on a P75 with 32megs, and KDE would even work, but it was no
speed demon.  Use ICE for your window manager, if you install a GUI.  My
first distro was Debian with a 386/25 and 16 megs--it worked fine.  One of
the old Caldera releases was fine on that machine, too.  I ran a GUI on both.
I think any 386/486 version would be fine from the CLI, but then any old
Linux version is pretty much the same from the CLI.  It would probably be
easier just to use RH6 because it is compiled for 386 and it should be easy
to get.  What sets Mandrake apart is it's GUI tools and it's installer.