cmg

thanks,

this should now be text and I have removed the reply to address in my config

-------Original Message-------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: 01/23/04 20:23:21
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [mandrake] Re: [newbie] install question on allocating disk space

On Friday 23 January 2004 03:01 pm, Steve Kaufman wrote:
> OK here goes. I have an AMD 2500+ running at 2700+ on an ASUS motherboard
> Model : A7N8X V2.0. Running win 2000. C drive is 120 gig. EIDE, E: drive
> is empty 16 GB EIDE and also a SCSI 12 GB which has about 10 GB free.
>
> I read that this install takes about 19 gb and I don't really want to
> partition my main drive although it has 100 GB free. I would like to
> install using my e: drive and me F: drive. Is it possible during
> installation to allocate mount points on both of these drives or do I
> really only want to install to one? I know a very little about unix so I'm
> not even sure I'm
>
> I might have a 20 GB drive I can put in as E but I'm not sure yet.
>
> Second question
>
> Since at this point I plan on installing linux to it's own drive do need
> to have something to control where I boot from or is it easier to just
tell
> my BIOS to boot from the second drive when I want to boot Linux. This way
> don t have to worry that if the install messes up I have to restore
> anything. I not parinoid but stff happens....
>
> Thanks
> Steve

Steve:
First, please do us (and you) two favors. Blank out your reply-to setting;
otherwise all replies to your post will go only to you and not to the other
list members. Second, do not send hmtl-formatted mail to the list. Many list
members automatically send all such messages to the bit bucket for security
reasons.

Mandrake's installation program will recognize your existing Windows
partitions as well as your other hard drives. Just point it to the 16 and 12
gb drives. (FWIW, I seriously question the 19 gb requirement; the 16 gb
drive
should be just fine.) Mandrake will then offer a default partitioning scheme
which should work well for most desktop installations, although you can
easily modify it. Be sure to format all of the partitions (except /swap)
with
a journalling filesystem -- ext3 and reiser are the most commonly used.
(/swap has its own filesystem format and will take care of itself.)

The installation program will also set up the LILO boot loader that will
handle all of the dual booting details. No need to keep fiddling with the
BIOS. Your assignment is to learn how to restore the MBR in case stuff does
happen and you have to start all over again. In DOS and Win9x days, it was
done by running the command fdisk /mbr from a DOS boot disk, but I don't
think that will work with either Win2K or XP.

A suggestion: When it's time to select the security level, go with standard,
otherwise you're going to learn far more about permissions than you want.

Another suggestion: If your Win2K uses NTFS formatting, consider formatting
the SCSI drive with FAT32 as a common data area that can be freely accessed
by both Windows and Linux. (Linux can read NTFS, but I understand that
writing to it is still problematic.)

-- cmg