On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 20:40:51 +0200
Paul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Transcode is the best (about the only one) but it ain't easy.

You've just been awarded the Understatement of the Year award. :)

It's more complicated it seems than mencoder. But once you find a stanza
that works, you can put it in a script or an alias. But it taks
experimenting, and many hours (unless you just encode a small number of
frames). It's tough to sit for 5 or more hours to find that you ended up
forgetting to encode the audio :( twice :( :( and you've been successful
doing it with other DVDs.

Of course, you can use a graphical wrapper (gtranscode / gmencoder).
Sometimes I use DVD:Rip, but I think that's doing more work than needed
to get acceptable quality. It's also slower. If you look, you discover
that there are usually >10 instances of transcode and helper things
(tccat) running during a DVD:rip. That seems too complicated IMHO.

I found mencvcd, just trying it now with a DVD. A couple fits & starts,
but we'll see what the results give.

> There are also  Mandrake rpm available (are they on the cd's?).

Probably you want them off a plf mirror.