Thursday 05 February 2004 4:36 pm, Paul Smith wrote:
<snip>
> I hope I will be enough clear this time. Whenever I try to install a
> package using Mandrake installation CDs (whose contents were downloaded
> from a mirror) and rpmdrake, I am, most of times, unable to get the
> desired packages installed. For instance, that just happened when I
> tried to install pciutils. Sometimes, to avoid those problems with bad
> signatures, I download the packages directly from the source sites, but
> such a procedure is not very good at the moment because I have yet been
> unsuccessful with the connection of my DSL Alcatel Speedtouch modem to
> the Internet; I have to use MS Windows, unfortunately.
>
> Paul

OK so it's the disks themselves? Number one, try to avoid installing with
rpm -ivh (pkg.mdk)

and use urpmi instead. That's the back end, rpmdrake is the front end.
Dependencies satisfied, signatures imported (with a caveat maybe) etc., and
no more grief.

OK, there's an updated version of the dakxtools on the update mirrors and, if
I recall correctly, an updated urpmi. That's the caveat mentioned above. I
remember it from pre-release testing but I don't recall when and if it was
fixed. I could be wrong on that one though since it's been a while.

I'd probably run the (risky) command;

urpmi.removemedia -a [Enter]

then:

urpmi.addmedia --distrib cdrom removable://mnt/cdrom [Enter]

with cd1 in your drive from a super user terminal. That will add the disks
back in, and should fix the signature warnings. If not follow HarM's advice
and ignore them. As long as the CDs were clean and the md5sums checked you
should be looking at good packages anyway.

BTW there's a repository of valuable information just a click away.

http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org

Everything is still constantly under construction, and I owe my long-suffering
cohorts here and on the expert mailing list a whack of articles.

I need a "round-to-it" first though. <g>

Have fun!

Charlie
- --
Edmonton,AB,Canada User #244963 at http://counter.li.org
Mandrake Linux release 10.0 (Cooker) for i586 kernel 2.4.25-0.pre7.2mdk
A compliment is something like a kiss through a veil.
                -- Victor Hugo