I've got a dead daemon that has a "pid file:"

[EMAIL PROTECTED] aurelius]# samba stop
Shutting down SMB services:                                     [FAILED]
Shutting down NMB services:                                     [  OK  ]
[EMAIL PROTECTED] aurelius]# samba status
smbd is stopped
nmbd is stopped
[EMAIL PROTECTED] aurelius]# samba start
Starting SMB services:                                          [  OK  ]
Starting NMB services:                                          [  OK  ]
[EMAIL PROTECTED] aurelius]# samba status
smbd dead but pid file exists
nmbd (pid 6366) is running...

Samba does indeed appear to be dead.  I've tried killing it (but it's
already dead). Smbd doesn't show up in top. Restarting the computer
doesn't clear the problem. Where would the pid file be?

 TIA,
--
N. B. Day