Re-boot to failsafe, wait for error then create a temp mountpoint for floppy and mv /floppy/fstab /etc/fstab, reboot, success.
There was probably a better way to do it (I'm sure you will all rush to keyboards to tell me)

Rush to keyboards to write useless information? Not I! ;0). Alright...
You could simply have booted to failsafe which I think is single-user mode (or if its not then just boot to single user), which only boots the / partition. You could also have popped disk one in the cd drive and gone to rescue console, where you could have manually edited the fstab with a non-x text editor (like vi or pico).

but my excuse is that I did this after a nightshift and
a total of only 8 hours sleep in 48 hours.

You actually sleep!?! What luxuries you afford yourself '-)
Cheers
Anton