Trey Sizemore wrote:
Just got a new machine and want to install the new Mandrake 10 Beta 2.  I
have an nVidia GeForce4 MX440 card on this machine (Pentium 4) and was
wondering what is the best way to get it working.  Should I be looking at
the nVidia site for drivers or use the Open Source alternatives?  In
either case, what specific driver?  I don't know that I'll be using the
machine much for gaming (and therefore 3D support not such a big deal).

Thanks for your advice and experience with these drivers.

I have such a graphics card and you shouldn't HAVE to do anything. It lets me watch dvds and watch video of all sorts, though I havent tried any 3d games. It just uses some generic driver, which is ok. I have problems with mplayer crashing the system, but I think that is related to a crap processor. It still crashes, but not nearly so often with transcode and xine, so it is mainly mplayer. They (mplayer) say bad things about nvidia though, which could be some of the problem.
Cheers
Anton

-=-=-
... On Krat's main screen appeared the holo image of a man, and several dolphins.
From the man's shape, Krat could tell it was a female, probably their leader.
"...stupid creatures unworthy of the name `sophonts.' Foolish, pre-sentient
upspring of errant masters. We slip away from all your armed might, laughing
at your clumsiness! We slip away as we always will, you pathetic creatures.
And now that we have a real head start, you'll never catch us! What better
proof that the Progenitors favor not you, but us! What better proof..."
The taunt went on. Krat listened, enraged, yet at the same time savoring
the artistry of it. These men are better than I'd thought. Their insults
are wordy and overblown, but they have talent. They deserve honorable, slow
deaths.
- David Brin, Startide Rising