Marc Resnick wrote:
Ron,
The problem is that I can't resize the Ext2 Partition with PM, and don't
know why. If I click Info, it says that it's an unrecognized format. What I
was able to do, I did. I freed some hard drive space by resizing the Windows
Partition, and moved in into the Extended Partition. Within the Extended
Partition I have two Linux Ext2 Partitions(I don't know why there's two, if
you could explain, that would be great), one is about 5 gb and one is about
4. There is also a Linux Swap Partition(I also do not know what that is
for), and now there is 3 gb of unallocated space too. I am able to resize
the unallocated space and the swap partition, but not the two Ext2s.

If the case is that I must use Linux to resize the partition, kindly explain
it to me as if I was 13 years old going on 14.

--Thanks
Marc

Yes, I have had this problem with PM. Like anything wrong with the partition tables, it is serious, and PM provides no help whatsoever. The PM 5 that I have does have a partition table editor, but it predates very large disks and has not been updated. Don't touch it!

Copy all your valuable partition data across to another hard disk, which you might have to buy. At that point if you set up the new with Partition Magic exactly the same as the old, you should be home and hosed and can proceed to do the resizing.

Here's a tip: You can then delete all the partitions on the original hard disk to recover it. If there are difficulties, do a google search for XOSL, which is a very good boot loader. Download it, make a floppy, and install XOSL. Reboot and when XOSL comes up, do a ^P. This will give you the Ranish Partition Manager. Ranish will mark in red for you all the problems it finds with your partition tables and allow you to delete partitions and the special cylinder before each logical partition, until no red remains. You then have a good disk. Unfortunately, Ranish pre-dates the availability of very large disks and may not deal with them correctly, but you are still better off than not having it.

Ranish may be available directly - try a google search on 'Ranish'?
Yes, download part240.zip

An operating Linux partition requires a swap partition, but if you have more than 1 Linux OS partition, they can all share the one swap partition.

--
Ron. [Melbourne, Australia]
Use the new dalziel-1.2 Mandrake English downloader - more features than rsync-plus.