You can find some more scripts potentially modifying PATH under /etc/profile.d. On my system, msec.sh and local.sh (the latter modified by me) actually change the PATH.

raffaele

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Hello,

[EMAIL PROTECTED] fubarski]$ echo $PATH
/usr//bin:/bin:/usr/bin::/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/games:/usr/lib/jre-1.4.1_01/bin
I don't particularly like the fact that I the "//" and the "::" are a part of $PATH. I can't seem to find where these are inserted, however.

I use BASH and I can't find these items in /etc/profile, ~/.bash_profile or ~/.bashrc. As far as my limited knowledge is concerned, /etc/profile is the first file to be considered, and it adds /usr/X11R6/bin, so I guess the question is where is $PATH defined before /etc/profile?

I'm using 9.1.

With an advance of thanks,
        James Henry Maiewski
        20 Plain Road East