On Tuesday 10 Feb 2004 7:13 pm, Lexx wrote:
> This is my first email from my (now online) Linux machine! w00t! w00t!
>
> Anyway, I've never had sound on this box and it may be down to not
> having a soundcard, (which I haven't checked yet). Lately I've been
> getting this error when I open KDE:
>
> "Error - artsmessage"
> "Sound server fatal error: cpu overload, aborting."
>
> I'm assuming it's trying to create sound and failing. Can anyone shed
> any light on it for me please and, more importantly help me stop the
> error?
>
> Many thanks
> Lexx
>
> --
> Registered Linux User
> No. 316991

This is a common problem.
Assuming your sound card is supported by the ALSA sound system,this is what to
do.

Install alsa-utils, alsamixergui (and newt if it is not already installed)

Make a backup copy of /etc/modules.conf
In a root terminal run
alsaconf

A text based GUI will set up your sound card and write a new /etc/modules.conf
file. (Thats why you need to back up the old one!)
Copy the lines from the old modules.conf into the new which are not related to
sound.

Reboot
In KDE Control Centre>Sound>SoundSystem select ALSA Sound System
Log out and log in again. KDE should no longer complain.

Rin  KMenu>Multimedia>Sound>alsamixergui  Set your mixer levels and save them

Thats it.

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net