On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 20:21:52 +0000
Paul Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> John Rye wrote:
> > On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 17:13:16 +0000
> > Paul Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> >>Dear All
> >>
> >>I have everything configured on my computer to connect to the
> >Internet>through Mandrake 9.2. However, I always get the following
> >message (in>/var/log/messages):
> >>
> >>LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
> >>
> >>The username/password are not authenticated. Could somebody here
> >>please help me?
> >>

> > first read the pppd man page ('man pppd' in a terminal) then edit
> > /etc/ppp/options to reflect the following, it should(tm) solve the
> > LCP timeouts.
> >
> > lock
> > debug
> > noauth
> > defaultroute
> > lcp-max-configure 45
> > ipcp-accept-local
> > ipcp-accept-remote
> > idle 600
> >
> > cheers
> >
> > John (nz)
>
> John,
>
> Thanks! I did as you suggest, but no progress, unfortunately. Maybe, I
> should buy a Ethernet modem...

I guess you mean "external modem" here? My spellchecker does this
too :-))

What type of modem do you have? Winmodem???

Does it work in any other operating systems you have access to?

Have you "talked" to your ISP?

Does your ISP have a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) which addresses
this type of problem?

I would suggest that if you are on dialup then an external modem is a
much more reliable option despite the bunch of extra cables it imposes
on you.

The other think to check is that your ISP' dns numbers and domain name
are listed in both /etc/ppp/resolv.conf and /etc/resolv.conf - like mine
below:

$ cat /etc/ppp/resolv.conf
nameserver 203.97.33.14
nameserver 203.97.37.14

$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
search clear.net.nz localhost.localdomain
nameserver 203.97.33.14
nameserver 203.97.37.14
nameserver 192.168.1.2

Cheers