On Sunday 15 Feb 2004 11:33 pm, Teilhard Knight wrote:
> > On Sunday 15 February 2004 15:33, Teilhard Knight wrote:
> > > I had to move my IDe devices (2 HDs, 2 burners and a DVD-ROM), and
> > > consequently Mandrake detected that and asked me to do a simple
> > > actualization of the configuration. But because I have very short
> > > time to fiddle with my computers (5), I keep being a newbie in
> > > spite of my wishes, and I screwed up.
> > >
> > > The thing is, at certain point I was asked for mounting points of
> > > the devices, and I made the mistake to strike "erase them all".
> > >
> > > Is there an easy way to create them again and have a link at the
> > > dektop? I was thinkong in re-installing (over the old
> > > installation), but I invested some pain to configure my wireless
> > > internet access with the guidance of Derek, and I am fearful to
> > > screw it.
> > >
> > > What do you advise me to do?
> > >
> > > Teilhard.
> >
> > Have you tried Mandrake Control Center > Mount Points ?  It should
> > detect the partitions on the hdds, but you will have to try to
> > remember which partition held what.  There are also wizards for
> > getting the cdroms and dvd drive back, in the same section.
> >
> > Anne
>
> Thanks so much, Anne. I think I am going to get me some icons for my drives
> in the KDE root desktop. As for now, I am relieved they are there on the
> user's desktop.
>
> Teilhard Knight
> The Extraterrestrial

The reason your root desktop has no links is to discourage you from using it.

As I am sure you aware logging in as root is "a bad thing"  Not only does it
compromise your computers security, but it means a slip of the mouse could
cause serious damage to your system.

Any time you want to do something as root you can do it from within a user
desktop. Just open a terminal and enter 'su' to become root user. Any
application started within that root terminal will also run as root. So for
example type 'konqueror &' in a root terminal to get a root instance of
konqueror.

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net