A few weeks ago I wrote asking for recommendations for a web host
because I have some special software needs that most hosts won't
accommodate. (If I didn't say thanks for your response, here's a blanket
"thanks!")

I just signed up with a company called RimuHosting
(http://www.rimuhosting.com), which runs user-mode linux
(http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/). User-mode linux basically
lets you run several "virtual" servers on one. So, using one server,
RimuHosting can host a bunch of sites and each has its own filesystem
and everything. What this means is that I can f&*!@ up my system as much
as I want and it won't bother anybody else! I get root access, can
install anything I want (except an IRC server and anything having to do
with spam) and it only costs me $20/month. That includes 4GB disk
space, 30GB bandwidth, and a choice of running RH 9, Debian, or Fedora.
(I asked about MDK and they said they need to limit the number of
distros they offer so they can keep up with the documentation--I went
with RH 9).

Non user-mode linux hosts I was looking at were going to cost me a
minimum of $50/month, and more likely closer to $100.

<shameless plug>
So, if you have special hosting need, you might want to check out
RimuHosting. And if you decide to go with them, tell them webonaire sent
you (I'll get a free month of hosting).
</shameless plug>

Seriously, I just signed up and so I can't speak to support issues or
anything. I think it's a great deal, though.

Todd

--
Any dictator would admire the uniformity and obedience of the
U.S. media. -Noam Chomsky