On Monday 23 February 2004 06:22 pm, Hoyt Bailey wrote:

> Thank you both.

Hoyt, I never mentioned this previously because I usually like to see people
try to get the completely OS sources working first, but there are alternate
options if you need to get Windows apps to work under Linux.

Crossover office is a good option if the apps that you want to work are
relatively mainstream.  I have had definite success with some apps, such as
Internet Explorer and Quicken in the past.  Usually old versions of those
apps however.  Winex is also very good, it is aimed at Windows games but is
definitely more user friendly and supports Installation routines better than
regular old Wine due to the inclusion of some proprietary code.

Both of those options will cost you.  A much better source, IMO, is
http://frankscorner.org/

He has a lot of information about getting apps to work under Wine, is pretty
much a wizard and has an active community that might be able to help you out
with some of the more detailed configuration settings to coax recalcitrant
apps into working.  I personally prefer to try to find Linux alternatives but
have messed about with Wine and some other flavors in the past just as a
learning exercise.

If you are committed to trying to get the apps to work with Wine, you might
want to go there and take a look around, it could be that someone else has
blazed a trail already or can help you to blaze it.

--
Bryan Phinney
Software Test Engineer