On Tues, Feb 24, 2004, 12:54:16 PM, Ray Hogaboom wrote:
> What I use the 2 old 486 laptop for are simple tasks.  If I am
> working on a computer that has some thing wrong with it, or working
> with new applications, OS as I am doing now. Instead of printing
> the instruction or documentation. I display the instruction (text
> or HTML files) on the laptop wile working on another computer.
> Saves paper, ink, and time.

You may not be aware of the fact that with Linux and X Windows you
can have several desktops open at the same time on the same machine.
I almost never print out documentation anymore. You can't do any of
the following on an i486, but you can do the equivalent of what you
just described on your regular Linux workstation.

Let's back up a bit. Linux comes with six virtual consoles (VCs). If
you are familiar with dos, that like having six separate dos computers
on the same machine. Everything done in a VC is done from a command
prompt. You will have those on your i486.

Incidentally, another thing you can't do with ms win is cut and paste
across everything. You can do what's termed "pick up and paste" back
and forth between all applications running on the VCs and X Windows
desktops, including applications being run via wine, dosemu, and vmware.
Very slick.

In addition to the six basic VCs, the 7th VC runs X Windows (which you
won't have on your i486). You probably already start out in X Windows
on your Linux workstation. You can hit control-alt-F1 to go to the 1st
VC. Alt-F2, Alt-F3, and so forth will take you through all of them.
You can tell they are changing by the "tty1," "tty2," and so forth you'll
see above the login. To get back into X Windows, press control-alt-F7.

In X Windows, you can have as many desktops as you have resources for.
That's like having any number of ms win machines in the same machine.
In addition, you can open as many windows on each desktop as you have
resources for.

For example. On my system I typically work in X Windows and have six
workspaces (desktops) available. One I use as a VC. That is, I have an
XTerm window open with several sessions running in it, including
mc, one or more dosemu (with my dos applications), and whenever
I need it, a root session.

I then have each project and all the windows I need open to complete
that project on separate workspaces.

One workspace/desktop may contain everything I need to update my
web sites -- text editor files containing codes and scripts that I've
gotten and wish to use on the site, the web page itself open in an HTML
editor, graphics manipulation software, plus post-its (using knotes) with
little notes to myself. Easily 5 or 6 windows all open on that single
desktop.

Another desktop may contain everything I need to doctor a book for
a client. The book itself, a file containing feedback from the
publisher/editor, revisions supplied by the author, and depending
on if the book is fiction or technical, there may be spreadsheets,
supplemental information, and so forth. Again about 5 or 6 windows open
on that desktop.

Every so often I work on my vmware workstation where I have a win98
virtual machine (vm) installed. It's working fairly well, but there
are some things I would like it to do that I haven't figured out yet,
mainly having to do with networking (which is how a vm connects
to its host). I have all the access I need to the vm via my zip drive,
but I would like to do file sharing and printing in the usual way
which I messed up somehow.

So I will have that machine open in a separate desktop, with the vmware
documentation for the particular workstation, RUTE chapters on
networking, as well as chapters from a book on Samba, plus a text editor
for logs that I've collected with the error messages and post-its
with notes to myself. Again, easily another 5-6 windows open.

If I get a phone call from a client and need to look at something
for them, I can then go to another workspace/desktop and open the
files there without having to disturb my other workspaces. It's like
having separate desks, all nice and messy, each dedicated to a
particular project that don't have to be cleaned up until I'm completely
done with the project.

I love it!

In any event, you'll be surprised how much more you can do on a
Linux machine than that same machine will do running ms win.

> I have a Pentium 1 100 MHz desk top I want to use for firewall,
> router.

Using i486s as firewalls and routing servers is very common as well.
There are numerous tutorials available on setting up i486s as servers
of one sort or another.

My comments were mainly to alert you to the limits of using them as
desktop workstations. People will hear that you can use older
equipment with Linux and then assume that means as a desktop workstation
in the same way as they are used to with ms win. Then, they are
surprised when that doesn't work and feel they've been misled.
Desktop workstations are not what people are suggesting when they say
you can use the older equipment with Linux.

There are numerous ways to set up networks. Get a book on Samba
because Samba is tricky and go over the networking chapters in RUTE.
A good Samba book is located on O'Reilly.

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/samba2/book/toc.html

A lot of stuff just installs and works, but if you tweak it (as sometimes
you must), you can easily mess up if you don't know how it works really.
Those books should help you avoid making mistakes.

deedee
---
Registered Linux User #327485
Visit "WordStar & GNU/Linux"