Hello

I have installed Mandrake 9.2 on a Dell Inspiron 8200,
using a Linksys WPC11 Version 3 wireless card.

<1% of the time that I bring the system up, the wireless
connection works. I can ping other machines. I can surf
the net.

>99% of the time I bring the system up, the wireless
connection does not work. It sees the correct wireless
access point (iwconfig) it identifies the wireless card
as eth1 and assigns the correct ip address (ifconfig) and
it recognizes the correct broadcast and subnet masks
(ifconfig). It recognizes the correct DNS servers
(/etc/resolv.conf). And while the routing table appears
to recognize the gateway (route) via the default route
I cannot ping any other machine on the network, nor can
I surf the web. It als recognizes the correct drivers
(lsmod). (By the way, I am using DHCP to connect to
open networks at wireless cafes.)

For the record, I have the machine configured to dual
boot to XP, and the wireless conncection works
perfectly >99% of the time in XP, failing <1% of the time
in XP. So I do not believe this is a hardware issue.

I have read many posts on the net about this. Many people
seem to have encountered exactly the same problems I am
encountering, others claim their WPC11 came up without a
hitch.

My question is, does Mandrake 9.2 run a WPC11 Version
3 wireless card out of the box, or am I going to have to
start mucking with kernel recompiles?

Any other suggestions about what I might try will be
readily accepted. I have a complete listing of the
output generated by the previous commands for anyone
who is willing to troubleshoot this with me, which I
will gladly email to you upon request.

Thanks,
Joel Budgor