One of the nice things about linux distributions is a
variety of tools to do different jobs.
While not a vi fan, I use emacs a great deal, and find it a
very powerful editor, and an environment for doing much
more.
While I use pico for a simple script edit, the task is no
more difficult if in emacs.
In windows you had notepad, but you probably also used
wordpad, a word processor, and even an html editor, etc.
To me emacs is all these and more, you don't have to be a
programmer to benefit from its power.
You do have to take the tutorial when you first start, and
later learn a bit about some other advanced commands.  This
isn't hard, its like learning that wordpad can save in RTF,
or Doc and why would you want each.

Ron

--
====