On Sunday 29 February 2004 01:41 pm, Carroll Grigsby wrote:
> I attempted to upgrade my 9.2 kernel from 2.4.22-10mdk to 2.4.22-28mdk,
> following the procedure given at:
> www.mandrakesecure.net/en/kernelupdate.php
>
> On booting, it ran into problems with XFree, resulting in the following:
<snipped>
> (Clearly, there are more stanzas here than are required -- and some
> redundant splash=silent statements. I'll take care of those later.) Going
> with the either the linux or 2422-28 stanzas resulted in same errors as
> before, but 2422-10 worked just like old times. I've been poking around in
> the log files (which have gotten pretty damn big), but I haven't seen
> anything that jumps out at me. In particular, a quick comparison of the
> earlier log excerpt with an XFree log from a good boot didn't show anything
> much different up to the first EE message.
>
> The graphics card is an nvidia GeForce2 64 mb. Asus A7V8X-X motherboard,
> Athlon XP2500+, 512 mb ram. Running 9.2 PowerPack with all current
> upgrades.
>
> Any advice on where to dig in?

As Philip suggested, I would force the Nvidia installer to reinstall and
rebuild the kernel module.  When you move to a new kernel, even if it is just
a patch, you need to rebuild the nvidia module.  If you want to test this,
change your XF86Config-4 back to the nv driver and comment out glx.  If X
loads, then you know that is the problem and you just need to force the
nvidia installer to reinstall again.
--
Bryan Phinney
Software Test Engineer