I've started downloading the linux 2.4.24 kernel in tar.bz2 format.

I hope this is the right one. I see the latest stable one is 2.6.3.

I went into the Linux Programme installer and found a number of files
described as the Linux Kernel. I installed them, but suddenly my whole Linux
installation is messed up. Sound driver does not work, file systems arn't
mounting. It seems I'm going to have to re-install the whole business. I'll
first try to install everything and specifically select these kernel files.
If that does not work, I'll just do a default installation.

Tomorrow I'm going to borrow a friend's external Mercer USB modem. If it
works, I might considder saving up to buy my own.

Question: how do I edit the Makefile file in my modem driver directory. I
see there is a reference to the linux-kernel there, and in stead of typing $
make KERNEL_ .... path to root.... I could possibly put that path directly
into the Makefile.

I really thank you for your help on this akward problem. Any wisdom will do,
and I am definitely learnign a lot. When I finally get it right, I will make
sure that I help other people to do it as well.

Greetings
Weiers
Johannesburg, South Africa