Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate it.
My story is a little bit different..
I just copy the codes you modified to a file and I compile it.
I have the following error message that I had before. Any other thoughts??

$cat asmExit.c void main() { __asm__(" mov $0x0, %ebx mov $0x1, %eax int $0x80 "); }

$ gcc -c asmExit.c
asmExit.c:2:9: missing terminating " character
asmExit.c: In function `main':
asmExit.c:3: error: syntax error before "mov"
asmExit.c:6:1: missing terminating " character
asmExit.c:1: warning: return type of `main' is not `int'

best regards,
Chungwei

Björn Lundin wrote:

Chungwei Hsiung wrote:

Hello guys
 I have a question. I've seen things like that being done on some
articles, but somehow it doesn't work on my machine. If you know how to
solve this problem, please let me know. I really appreciate it.
I would like to know how to compile a C file when there are assembly
code in it like the following:
void main() {
__asm__("
       move   $0x0, %ebx
       move   $0x1, %eax
       int    $0x80
");
}
I tried to compile it, and it doesn't work. Do I miss any library or
what can I do to resolve this problem???

btw, mine is MDK9.2

best regards,
Chungwei

Well I got [EMAIL PROTECTED] tmp]$ cc -c asm_test.c
asm_test.c:2:9: warning: multi-line string literals are deprecated
asm_test.c: In function `main':
asm_test.c:1: warning: return type of `main' is not `int'
/tmp/ccZR2pQa.s: Assembler messages:
/tmp/ccZR2pQa.s:14: Error: no such instruction: `move $0x0,%ebx'
/tmp/ccZR2pQa.s:15: Error: no such instruction: `move $0x1,%eax'

so changing 'move' to mov got rid of the assembler warnings

void main() {
__asm__("
       mov   $0x0, %ebx
       mov   $0x1, %eax