... or something like that :-) (I'm still new to dealing with
partitions, dual boot, etc.)  Anyway, I think I'm looking more for
confirmation here that my thinking is correct than anything else.

Here's the deal.  I had to use Partition Magic a month or two ago to
resize my laptop's XP Pro NTFS prior to my Mandrake install.  So far so
good, and all went well.

Both XP and Mandrake are booting just fine, no problems.  I decided,
however, that I wanted to take some of the disk space still allocated to
XP and free up 5GB or so to use as a shared FAT partition which both
could access.

So, fired up XP and Partition Magic, and immediately received an "Error
116," which complained about LBA and CHS values being inconsistent, and
did I want Partition Magic to fix this error?  I selected "No" and the
program exited.

My /thinking/ is that selecting "Yes" would potentially fubar my Linux
setup (and possibly more), so I'm going to leave everything as is until
the official Mandrake 10 release (running 10 Community presently), at
which time I may do a fresh install (did an upgrade this week to 10) and
the possibility of trashing the partitions becomes less critical (and
I'll be bugging y'all at that point, probably, for pointers on making
sure I back up data properly :-).

So, basically -- is my thinking correct that allowing PM to "fix"
anything at this point would likely cause a major headache?  I can
certainly live without the extra FAT partition for now, as I have plenty
of free space on both the XP and Linux sides of things, but it's on my
"to do" list.

TIA
--
Chuck Mattsen ... [EMAIL PROTECTED] ... Mahnomen, MN
Registered Linux User #346519