Quoting [EMAIL PROTECTED]:

> I am setting up a Mandrake linux server that will be
> supporting several thin clients running X sessions. I
> was wondering if there is a good way to do instant
> messaging between the terminals, i.e. between
> concurently logged in users on the server. I have heard
> about a program called Talk, has anybody had any
> experience with that?
>
> thanks,
> Stephen Smith
> Design--Implement--Support

Hi Stephen,
I tried to use talk, but it seems that the receiving user must activate the
talk daemon first in order for the communication be establihed. Therefore I
simply use 'write'. To use it:
1. turn on messaging on tty by: mesg y
2. begin sending writing by: write [EMAIL PROTECTED], ex: [EMAIL PROTECTED]/1
It's in plain text though, no fancy gui.
More, if you want to announce something to all the users logged in, you can
use: wall, ex: wall Hey, get log out NOW! The server is goint to reboot in 30
secs!
HTH,
Fajar.