On Mon, Nov 01, 1999 at 09:54:17PM +0000, Ty C. Mixon wrote:
> Is there a log, or is there a way to create one, that shows who has
> logged into my machine, when and what they did?

The 'last' command will show you a list of who's logged into the machine and
the timespan.

For "what they did", it depends upon how much you trust your users.  If
they're fairly naive, and you don't believe they're consciously TRYING to
avoid being seen, then you can use ~/.bash_history to see what the user has
done.

If you don't trust 'em any further than you can throw 'em, you'll want to
install the psacct package and look into the monitoring that it can provide.
I don't run any Linux machines that allow interactive logins for anyone but
the administrator, so I couldn't tell you how well the package works.

--
Steve Philp
Network Administrator