I recently did a clean installation of Mandrake 10.0
Community. The installation process lived up to
Mandrake's fame as a user-friendly distro. Only
problem I had was the Audigy 2 ZS sound card could not
work.

If you have the same problem, you might be interested
to know that the optical raw needs to be turned off
(which is on by default) in order for Audigy 2 to play
sound. I used Alsa mixer to turn it off. Not sure
about other mixers but I recommend using Alsa.

In addition, Linuxquestions.org is a very nice website
for newbies to ask questions as most are very willing
to offer suggestions there.

Thank you all who tried to help in one way or another.
Cheers!