Begin forwarded message:

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>: mail forwarding loop for [EMAIL PROTECTED]

again...
On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 01:21:33 +1100
Brian Parish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Well this is an AMD XP2800 with 512MB and a decent dual DDR mobo.  I
> don't see any hesitancy and no load when idle, but I get skips galore
> on

That's quite odd, as xmms is usually low latency on such a system. I
wonder if there might be something else that's amiss. Case in point, on
my AMD 1000 box recently, I experienced lots of skips recently playing
from a URL. This is fairly uncommon, even though I was encoding a VCD at
the same time. But that wasn't the problem - it was artsd. Darn thing
was eating up most of the cpu, and (2.6) kernel was spending a lto of
time in system mode. As a result, my system was barely usable, and the
encode ended up dropping way too many frames :(. Killing artsd made it
all better.