On Monday 22 Mar 2004 04:11, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> I needed to rebuild one of our test security gateways and after
> experimenting with RedHat, Debian and Slackware, I wanted to give
> Mandrake 10.0 a try.  I was initially very impressed but I am having a
> devil of a time just installing.
>
> The test device is an old e-machines 400Mhz Celeron with 64 MB Ram and a
> 6.4 GB hard drive.  I can successfully install RedHat and Debian from
> CD.
>
> I first tried a CDROM install using the ISO images I downloaded and
> burned.  The system booted perfectly fine but when it tried to access
> files on the CDROM, I generated the following errors:
> <4>hdc: SAMSUNG CD-ROM SC-140, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
> .
> .
> .
> <4>hdc: ATAPI 40x CD-ROM drive, 128kB Cache, DMA
> <6>Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20
> <5>SCSI subsystem initialized
> <4>hdc: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> <4>hdc: command error: error=0x50
> <4>end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 64
> <4>isofs_fill_super: bread failed, dev=hdc, iso_blknum=16, block=16
>
> I thought it might be a bad CD even though it appeared to work when I
> tried it on a different computer.  I did find that if I booted the test
> computer into the current Debian installation, I could not manually
> mount the CD.  So I downloaded the ISO again from a different site,
> checked the MD5 checksum and burned a new CD.  Same results.
>
> Based upon some other information I found, I tried booting from CD2
> instead -- same results.
>
> I tried a text installation -- same results.
>
> I then thought I'd mount the CD on a different computer and do an NFS
> installation.  That started to work but, after a while, it aborted with
> a signal 7.
>
> I tried an NFS installation in text mode -- it made it 60+% of the way
> and then aborted with a signal 7 error.
>
> So far I am striking out even though it appears that one of Mandrake's
> features is ease of installation.  Oh, I also tried cleaning the CD lens
> in case it was dirty.  Same problem.  Can someone tell me what I am
> doing wrong? I'd really like to give Mandrake a try.
>
> My apologies if this has already been asked.  I did not see a way to
> search the archives late than 2003-11.  How does one search the most
> current postings to this mail list?
>
> Thanks, all - John

Try booting from CD2 and then switch back to CD1 when it asks for the disc
http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/errata.php3

Bear in mind this is the "Community edition" which means there are still bugs
to be ironed out before 10,0 "Official" is released. Having said that, my own
experience is that 10.0 is very solid and stable. I hope you like it :-)

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net
http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org