I did do an update immediately... But it was a "selective" update. I didn't
do things like Apache. Tonight I may well do the whole lot just to be on the
safe side.

-----Original Message-----
From: Greg Meyer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, March 22, 2004 1:09 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] MDk10CE, KDE 3.2 and no sound

On Monday 22 March 2004 04:36 am, Sweeney, Stephen wrote:
> (sorry if this comes out a bit long, but I'd like to make sure that
> I've explained everything).
>
> On the weekend I installed Mandrake 10 (install, not update). Install
> went fine. I then booted into KDE 3.2. It hung leaving the Mandrake
> wallpaper in the background. I tried again, this time I got a warning
> about Knotify not starting and asking me if I wanted to disable it. I
> did and it still hung. I then went into IceWM, fired up Kcontrol and
> turned off the sound in KDE (can't remember how I came to this
> conclusion).

Have you applied any updates to the original install of 10.0.  OIIRC, there
were a bunch of things fixed related to the arts soundeserver and OSS
emulation.  You should update before spending a lot of time because whatever

you are running into may have been fixed.
--
/g

designated recipient(s) named above.  If you are not the intended recipient of
this message you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination,
communication is for information purposes only and should not be regarded as
an offer to sell or as a solicitation of an offer to buy any financial
product, an official confirmation of any transaction, or as an official
statement of Lehman Brothers.  Email transmission cannot be guaranteed to be
secure or error-free.  Therefore, we do not represent that this information is
complete or accurate and it should not be relied upon as such.  All
information is subject to change without notice.