First of all I have to say that MDK 10 is very pleasing eye candy.  It's fast
with the 2.6 series kernel and it's a pleasure to use it.

The download via Bittorrent went smoothly and I continued to share it for a
couple of weeks.  (I'll get it back up soon once I get something here
fixed :-) ).

The only problem was that CD 4 wasn't recognized on installation and had to be
added manually later.  I'm thinking the problem is the folder name RPMS5
instead of RPMS4.  In any event, it wasn't serious.

Updates went smoothly from the listed update sites.

Sound works, all hardware was recognized and both machines came up flawlessly.

Now, onto the problems.

I think the first one about the unreliablity of reading and, apparently,
writing CDs and DVDs has been answered in that I probably don't have magicdev
(??)  installed and I'm using automount instead.  It seems automount is
installed by default for some strange reason and yes I'm using the 2.6.x
kernel.

The second issue is more troubling.  When setting up internet connection
sharing the wizard fscks all networking.  I can always reach the internet
before I set it up but not after.  I admit I haven't had the time yet to look
too deeply into it so I don't  know whether or not it's the shorewall
installation, the "transparent" proxy or if it just screws up the settings on
the NIC. What I have noticed is that the wizard insists on setting up my eth1
card which is the one the internet connects to as static and eth0 as dhcp.
It should be the other way around.  This was a problem with the older
releases up to 9.1 when it suddenly worked as I wanted it to.  Ditto with
9.2.  10 seems to have taken a step backwards in assuming that eth0 is the
one heading to the outside world.  Nevertheless, it's caused some headache
and I've been wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

It's not a big problem as I can set it all up manually if needs must.

Incidentally, the machines installed on are an old Dell Dimension and a newer
Sony Viao desktop.  Next victim will be my laptop :)

ttfn

(a generally very happy)

John