Charlie Mahan wrote:

On March 23, 2004 11:45 am, Margot wrote:

Newly installed 10 CE won't shutdown/poweroff cleanly - using either
 the root terminal shutdown process or the KDE logout button I get
as far as this...
uhci_hcd 0000:00:11.2: USB bus 1 deregistered
... and then it hangs.

I know this is a known issue, and apparently there is a kernel fix
on the way, but meanwhile...

Alt + SysRq + R S E I U B will give me a reboot from where the
shutdown hangs - is there a similar trick which will give me a clean
shutdown and poweroff?

Margot

Yeah, install Thomas Backlund's latest kernel from contrib. It seems to have fixed the USB glitch for most people.

Including 4 of the systems I was screaming at last week. <g>

BTW adding another S to your magic keys sequence may be warranted Margot. I mean between the U and B. Just in case.

Regards;
Charlie

Thanks Charlie, I'll give the new kernel a try once I can get my internet connection to stay up long enough to download the file! I have an 'unlimited' monthly-paid dialup package, but each session is supposedly time-limited to 2 hours - and unfortunately, I frequently get dropped well before the 2 hour limit. I can redial immediately of course, but that doesn't help when I'm trying to download a file the size of a kernel :-(

Meanwhile, what does the extra 'S' stand for?
Raising Skinny Elephants Is Utterly Sooooo Boring?

Margot