Karen,

Unless I am mis-informed, when you remove a partition, all the information in
the partition is irrevocably lost - forever! To my knowlege, Linux does not put
any kind of information in the CMOS, or re-do the BIOS. If you remove the Linux
partition, then do the DOS fdisk /mbr, that should remove any trace of Linux.
Then reinstall to your hearts content. On the other hand, if the problems are
persistent, then you may have either a hardware problem, or some
incompatibility.

KFM, unless I am sorely misinformed is the KDE file manager (perhaps a typo?).
Since it is a KDE app, are you using it in KDE, or GNOME?

If you can give more concise information, perhaps someone on this list can
assist you. Please include hardware information too.

Sorry I could not be more helpfull,

Ernie