On Wednesday 24 Mar 2004 12:46, Russell Butler wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Sorry if this is in the archives, but I could not find anything
> immediately relevant.
> Reinstall of Mandrake 9.1, have set up shorewall(2.0) firewall and have
> local network/samba/cups running (sigh).
>
> Dialup works in the sense of being able to connect to my ISP, but no
> access to the net and pinging the nameserver in resolv.conf gives
> "Destination host unreachable"
> Previously I had found this happened when the default Drake.conf
> firewall setting was anything other than "Allow everything" but now no joy.
>
> Uninstalling shorewall completely still does not allow connection of
> browser, mail or ping to nameserver address from resolv.conf, so it does
> not seem to be just a firewall issue.
>
> Where can I set debug levels for the connection? Looking at syslog &
> messages doesn't seem to show anything informative. ifconfig looks OK,
> showing local eth0 address and appropriate entries for the dialup
> nameservers, but I cannot ping the latter.
>
> This has been going for a couple of weeks now, and  iam feeling very
> frustrated.  I had just installed win-4-lin so that I did not have to
> reboot Windows, and now I do just to ask for help about my Linux
> networking.
>
> Thanks for any help you can give.
>
> Russell

Two suggestions
1/ If shorewall is running when you are in dialup, then you must put the dial
up interface into the 'net' zone of shorewall.
Edit /etc/shorewall/interfaces and add the line
net     ppp0    detect
Restart shorewall with 'shorewall restart' in a root terminal

2/ You may have a problem with your 'route'
When the dial up link is working enter 'route' in a terminal.
The last line displayed will show the default route to the internet. If this
does not point to your ppp0 interface then it is not going to work.

You can force ppp0 to become the default route .
Create a file /etc/ppp/if-up.local with the contents

#!/bin/bash
#reassign default route when on dial up
route del default
route add default dev ppp0

Make this file executable. Now when you start dial up networking the script
will reassign the route.

derek
--
www.jennings.homelinux.net