On Wednesday 24 March 2004 02:30 pm, RichardA wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 08:17:49 -0600, Tom Brinkman
>
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > Never mind, the CDs are fine -- I'm installing 10.0 from
> > > them now. I'd still like to know what the errors are,
> > > though.
> >
> >      They are warnings, not errors.  The author of cdrecord
> > is known to be a little outspoken.  He's got'a bit of a
> > grudge against kernel.org.   Under 10.0/2.6.x, you'll probly
> > also see a "using badly designed ATA"  (or somethin like
> > that). Just ignore 'em.
>
> Well, I really didn't expect the answer to "why do I get these
> errors" to be "politics"!

     <hehehe,  the whole story ;>

tom # cdrecord dev=ATA -scanbus
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a27-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C)
1995-2004 Jörg Schilling
Note: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with DVD
support
Note: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in the
original.
Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.
Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems
in this version.
   (the above Notes: are Warly's, at Jörg's request. All the rest
     are Jörg's "comments" ;)
scsidev: 'ATA'
devname: 'ATA'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Warning: Using badly designed ATAPI via /dev/hd* interface.
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
cdrecord: Warning: using inofficial libscg transport code version
(warly-scsi-linux-sg.c-1.80-mdk '@(#)scsi-linux-sg.c  1.80
04/03/08 Copyright 1997 J. Schilling').

> BTW 10.0 is  s l o w  (for me). I haven't looked into it yet, I
> just chucked it on randomly late last night under the influence
> of bourbon, to see if the CDs were good. Maybe DMA isn't on, or
> something. I will investigate.

tom # hdparm -v /dev/hdh

/dev/hdh:
 HDIO_GET_MULTCOUNT failed: Invalid argument
 IO_support   =  1 (32-bit)
 unmaskirq    =  1 (on)
 using_dma    =  1 (on)
   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 keepsettings =  0 (off)
 readonly     =  0 (off)
 readahead    = 256 (on)
 HDIO_GETGEO failed: Invalid argument

     There does seem to be a speed= issue with cdrecord and 2.6.x.
I've done some experimenting. Removing speed=XX from my burn CL
unleashes burns at faster rates than I trust for the media I use
(eg over 48x).  Setting 24x seems to burn at about 24x. Setting
32x burns at a variable rate working it's way up to 32x.
Burner is 52x Plextor, media is 48 to 52x.

   cdrecord displays this an other info on the CL. There's no
tellin what various GUI frontends are doin, or whether cdrecord
is goin along with it ;>
--
      Tom Brinkman                 Corpus Christi, Texas
               Proud to be an American