On Sunday 28 March 2004 04:54 am, Tango Echo wrote:
> > Unless I am mistaken here, it appears the cooker and
> > 10.0 update tree has forked.

    You're mistaken. This hasn't occured yet. My conjecture?
cooker 10.0 as of last Friday is probly 10.0 Official. I expect
it to under go a week or two's testing, but with only 'show
stopper' type updates, if any, released to stable or cooker.
(stable is currently just symlinked to cooker)

  Now here's the tricky part:
I suspect 'Official won't be announced publicly until about two
weeks after Mandrake deems current cooker is ready to send to
production. It takes about two weeks to produce the box sets. At
that time the public announcement will be made, and Official will
be available for d/l (torrent). I believe this is when 'stable'
will fork from cooker.  So that's probly 3 to 4 weeks from now.

> > I was following the
> > cooker update tree until last night.  Then I
> > realized
> > that there is a "stable" section as well as a 10.0
> > portion on Easy Urpmi.  No doubt I have installed
> > cooker packages.

   Yep. If you installed 10.0-CE, you're running cooker 10.0. It
doesn't matter whether you use cooker or stable sources to
update. They are one and the same.

> > So of course I will receive
> > "Everything installed" when I try to update to
> > stable
> > because it is older...  How do I downdate here? If I
> > do have some packages installed that are cooker
> > based
> > then I'd like to revert to stable.  I noticed last
> > night while gaming with a friend that both mdk boxes
> > were having minor stability issues...

   Which is why all the above is just you're misconceptions.
Actually I'd suggest you continue to use cooker sources for about
two weeks after Official is publicly announced and available for
d/l.  You will then have the opportunity to get post Official
updates (if any) while cooker is frozen and preparing for 10.1
development.
--
      Tom Brinkman                 Corpus Christi, Texas
               Proud to be an American