On April 4, 2004 07:33 am, Todd Slater wrote:
<snip>

> At the tech college where I work, we have one person that dominates a
> portion of the IT curriculum. So, if you want to learn about Web
> publishing, you won't learn any free database or scripting languages,
> you'll be forced to learn IIS, java, asp and .NET. I keep telling them I
> don't know anybody who uses that stuff, which is probably just because
> I'm selective in choosing my friends ;) but seriously, to think we're
> graduating people who don't know squat about Apache, php, perl, mySQL etc.
> seems like we're doing a big disservice to our students.

Your college is when you consider the large number of sites that use the
services you named and what appears to be the decilining number of sites that
use junk like IIS.  The java course might be useful but knowing Apache, php,
perl, mySQL etc is a ticket to ride these days.  People trained on M$ stuff
are a dime a dozen right now.  People trained in the good stuff seem to be
mighty rare. :-)

> It's really dangerous, I think, to put all your eggs in one IT basket.
> But I'm just a freak that doesn't understand the "business world" so
> nobody listens to me.

I'd say your person who dominates the IT cirriculum is the one who isn't
paying attention to the real world.

But then perhaps the real world has nothing to do with it. :-)

ttfn

John