I would be very angly if my expensive USRob modem was not Linux compatible. I looked in the Mandrake Control Center/Hardware and it sees "US Rob/3Com PCI 56k faxmodem Model 5610". I tried to run scanModem, but it errored-out "/dev/modem symbolic link not set; lspci not found please install pciutils." I ran it as root.

Yes the CD is a CD-RW.