On Tue, 2004-04-13 at 14:17, Marv Boyes wrote:

> Okay, next question: how do I uninstall software that I've compiled from
> source? ;)

That's a bit tricky. You're going to have to know what libs are where,
what binaries are there, and whatever else is residual - which is always
a nice reason to have the source code still in place along with the
rest...so by backtracing through the "make install" procedure (dig
through the makefile) you can effectively figure out what needs to be
removed. Sounds tough, but it's a way to get to know what goes where.

> I did what I _thought_ was the right stuff (./configure, make, make
> install), but I've ended up, literally hours later, with nothing. The
> application doesn't run; it's like it's not even there (which, I'm
> guessing, it isn't). Aside from one file each in
> /usr/share/application-registry and /usr/share/mime-info,
> all a file search reveals are the original .rpm file, and the stuff that
> ended up in /usr/src/[etc].

...er, did you put the stuff where Mandrake wants it to be in order for
the libs to work properly and the binaries to work properly?

stephen kuhn - owner
illawarra computer services
a kuhn media australia company
http://kma.0catch.com