I have a question for the list, what do I need to send x via ssh to my windows box?

I have a Mandrake 10 server running ssh and x, on my windows xp box, I am running putty with x11 forwarding on. However, I login fine but when I launch x as a normal user I get :

[EMAIL PROTECTED] jebba]$ startx
Authentication failed - cannot start X server.
Perhaps you do not have console ownership?xinit:  Server error.

But, when I log in as root, and start x. It runs on the server.

Hopefully this makes sense? I am still very new to linux. What I'm a doing wrong?