Anne Wilson wrote:

The most important is to make safe the existing email. What should
I do? How to backup the email and restore it back? I read somewhere
that an older Mozilla should be de-installed before to install the
new one.

This is harder than it should be. Unless you get the preparation right you will lose all your mail. I have been browsing over the last couple of days, as I have to deal with a windows install where I will have to do this. Two resources I have found that should help are

a website with list and description of files in the Mozilla profile directory, at gemal.dk

I have looked at gemal site and it seemed to me that it covers Windows version of Mozilla only.

an email reply to a mailing list that says that you should copy your profile folder to a safe directory, then allow a new profile to be created by the install. It then says "I backup by simply copying the files. If you have the old profile directory intact somewhere just copy those files, without the .msf files, which Mozilla recreates any time they are missing."

I have not tested this myself, but it may help you.

Anne

Although I did backup my profile folder to a safe place, seemed that at Linux such an action is not a must, because as usual a user's profile is placed at different place (into a 'home') than the Mozilla 'system' files.

Anyway thanks for suggestions.

Well, there is another issue. Mandrake 9.1 comes with Mozilla 1.3 that is placed within /usr/lib/mozilla-1.3 directory. At first I didn't want to make problems with that original Mozilla, so I installed Mozilla 1.6 to its suggested 'default' directory: /usr/local/mozilla. I did it all as root and later, running under user privileges, Mozilla 1.6 recognized the existing old profile, mail and other settings. So far - so good.

The problem is that v 1.6 looks awful i.e. its appearance is worse than v 1.3 including its fonts and others. The similar situation I had a couple of months ago, when I installed Netscape 7.1 to the system (it went to its 'default' /usr/local/netscape directory).

Now I thought maybe /usr/lib might be better path than /usr/local (because the original Mozilla 1.3 lives in /usr/lib/mozilla-1.3). So, on the other computer, I made a directory /usr/lib/mozilla-1.6 prior to Mozilla 1.6 installation. All went ok, but the look of Mozilla 1.6 is still awful.

Any idea what to do in oder to improve its behavior?

Misko