On Sun, 2004-04-18 at 23:16, Keith Powell wrote:
> I know this isn't strictly Mandrake, so apologies.
>
> My set-up here, is one computer with several hard drives each in its own
> caddy. Each drive is used for a different purpose.
>
> A couple of days ago, one of them (a Maxtor 40GB) stopped working a couple of
> days ago  whilst I was using it,. So I rebooted. It started to boot, then
> stopped with the error message:
>
> Partition Check:
> hda: <4>hda: dma_timer_expiry: dma status ==0x21
> hda: timeout waiting for DMA
> hda: timeout waiting for DMA
> hda: (__ide_dma_test_irq) called while not waiting
>
> the hard drive activity light was permanently on.
>
> This error message means nothing to me.
>
> I have tried installing two different Linux distros, but neither would
> install. I then found my old Windows98 CD and tried installing that - it
> wouldn't.
>
> I ran the complete Maxtor diagnostic program, but the results were that
> everything was OK.
>
> I have formatted the hard drive, and tried various things with FDISK. The
> drive still can't be used.
>
> Googling brings up nothing of apparent use.
>
> Can the hard drive be sorted, or is it only fit to be thrown away?
>
> Any ideas will be gratefully received.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Keith

Have you tried the HD in another machine? Have you tried with a
different IDE cable? Have you tried with the drive installed upside
down? (not a joke)

stephen kuhn - owner
illawarra computer services
a kuhn media australia company
http://kma.0catch.com
Win98 is called Win98 because 98% of all hardware components will need
driver updates.