Janus Sandsgaard wrote:
I am going to buy a Palm pilot, and it is essential for me that I works 100% with Linux and KDE applications such as Korganizer, KAdressBook etc. I am considering Palm Tungsten C or Tungsten E. The latter should work with KPilot:

http://www.slac.com/pilone/kpilot_home/hardware.html#pilot

But how well?
And what about Tungsten C (with WiFi)?

Does anybody successfully use a Palm Tungsten C or Tungsten E with SuSE Linux and KDE? Does it work “out of the box”?

I unfortunately can't comment on the Palm OS 5 experience with Linux, but I've had great success with my OS 4.1 Sony Clie SJ33. Both KPilot and JPilot work like a charm (JPilot is probably the closest you'll get to Palm Desktop on Linux, while KPilot is handy for both managing conduits and quick-installing applications). For awhile, I synchronized both Evolution and KOrganizer without difficulty, but I eventually just went to JPilot as my primary PIM app. I'm even able to directly access the Memory Stick (Sony's proprietary expansion card format, analogous to the Secure Digital you'd have with the T|C or T|E), which appears on my desktop as external mass storage, easily mounted.

My Mandrake installation appears to be using modules compiled to support the old Handspring Visor (to my knowledge, the first Palm OS handheld with USB sync capability). I believe these are kernel-level and should be available on SuSE; in fact, you may have something newer. Unless PalmSource have radically changed the way PalmOne devices communicate with a desktop machine, there's a good chance your handheld and your PC should be able to talk to eachother. Whether or not there would be changes in synchronizing with particular KDE apps, I can't say with any certainty.

I'm sure there's Palm OS 5-specific information out there somewhere.

Best of luck,
Marv
Help in the research to find cures for devastating diseases like
Huntington's, Parkinson's, and Alzheimer's-- donate your computer's
leisure time to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/
The best way to accelerate a Windows box is at 9.8 meters per second per second.