I have a question concerning remote access and iptables.
I have installed Mandrake 10.0 Community on a PII 450Mhz. with 256Mb RAM.
I have tweaked all the settings in Mandrake Control Center, but I know nothing
about iptables.

I have assigned the following to the su and login commands:
owner: root
group: wheel
PERMISSIONS:
owner: read, write, execute, setuid
group: read, write, execute
others: forbidden
And, I have added myself (the only user) to the wheel group.
I have, and use, rkhunter.

Even if someone had remote access to my system, they would not be able to call
the su or login commands.

I tried to telnet myself in a konsole session and got a reply telling me
"connection refused". I tried to ping myself and got "6 packets transmitted,
0 received, 100% packet loss, time 4999ms"

It seems that my box would be invisible to anyone trying to ping me and
unavailable to anyone trying to telnet me.
Is this sufficient? Or, must I learn how to deal with iptables?

Ian MacGregor
--
Registered Linux User #350412