The 2.4 kernel should have been automatically
installed when you installed mdk10. If it was not
than, yes you can install it and it will install side
by side. You will also have to edit /etc/lilo.conf.
But before you do please double check /etc/lilo.conf
to see if the already exists a stanza for kernel
2.4.*.*mdk.

tsw