Derek Jennings wrote:
On Monday 10 May 2004 10:56, Raffaele BELARDI wrote:

I installed 10.0 official. I have a azt2320 ISA soundcard

I added to /etc/modprobe.preload the snd-azt2320 line. Sound modules are
loaded correctly at boot, but /dev/dsp is not created so xmms and
mplayer don't generate sound. If I manually create the /dev/dsp device,
sound works ok.

You may need to add the OSS emulation lines as well. See :- http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php?company=AzTech&card=AZT2320&chip=AZT2320&module=azt2320

(BTW: You might find xmms works without having to do anything to the drivers if you configure xmms to use the ALSA output plugin )

Derek,

some of the above got it working, but I am not sure of which part :-)

At first I modified the modprobe.conf to add the OSS-related lines (BTW, it seems to me the syntax is the same as modules.conf, isn't it?). Reboot, no work.

Then I reconfigured xmms to use ALSA instead of OSS, as you suggested. No error (previously I got "no /dev/dsp" error) but still no sound. So I loaded alsa-utils, unmuted sound and finally heard music.

mplayer tries to open /dev/dsp, doesn't find it and switches to ALSA, so it also is working fine now.

Next days I might try to remove the OSS-related part from modprobe.conf, just to see if ALSA it still works.

I must say that I find the Linux sound architecture quite confusing :-[

thanks,

raffaele