I ran into a slightly different problem with VMware, I had 4 installed and working with 10CE (using the any script), did a couple of kernel updates, then updated VMware to 4.5. When I ran VMware after the update for the first time it informed me that I had to run the config script again, no big deal, but then informed me that my kernel headers didn't match my kernel.

A uname -r returns 2.6.3-4mdk, but my headers now are /usr/src/linux-2.6.3-9mdk, an obvious mismatch. After screwing around for a while I ended up installing the kernel source for 2.6.3-4 from the 10CE DVD (I had to manually find them and force it, urpmi etc didn't help), which of course removed the 2.6.3-9 headers. I then configured VMware with no problem, and after that redid the kernel updates.

Everything works like a charm, and my kernel headers (but not my kernel itself) are once again 2.6.3-9

ED