-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Tom Brinkman
Sent: Monday, May 10, 2004 11:12 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] cdrom

On Sunday 09 May 2004 12:50 pm, John wrote:
> > Mdk 10.0 now uses magicdev instead of supermount for cdroms
> > Check you have the magicdev package installed, and the line
> > for your cdrom in /etc/fstab should look something like this
> >
> > /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto
> > umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec
> > 0 0
> >
> > Also in 10.0 the 2.6 kernel  no longer needs to use ide-scsi
> > in order to write CD-RW so in your /etc/lilo -v file remove
> > any reference to ide-scsi in the append line and then run
> > lilo -v to write the boot sector.
> >
> > derek
>
>     Removing references in modprobe.conf and modprobe.preload
> for ide-scsi is also neccessary.  Consider this advice
> temporary as Mandrake (current 10.1 devel) is goin back to
> ide-scsi for IDE CD devices.  Early 10.1 (2.6.5 or .6 kernel)
> is already back to it.
>
>     Contrary to the questionable Mandrake move, this 'last
> minute' change to magicdev for 10.0, I'd suggest doin a urpme
> on it an then runnin 'supermount -i enable' && 'mount -a'
> Supermount is mature, magicdev is alpha, and has known
> problems. I find supermount-ng as implemented in current 2.6.x
> kernels to be flawless.
>
>    Another mistaken Mandrake move, but can easily be turned off
> or removed is tmdns.
>
>     John, check that 'll /dev/hd*' return drives numbers
> suitable for your CD drives(s). Make sure fstab also reflects
> the correct device, ie, hd*, not scd*. Check /etc/ modprobe*
> files to be certain they don't call ide-scsi or scsi host
> adaptor.  I'm sort'a thinkin your fstab (Mandrake bug) doesn't
> accurately reflect the device connotations.  If my advice
> doesn't work for you post the results of
> -     'll /dev/hd*'   and also /dev/scd*
> -     Your /etc/fstab file.
> -     'cdrecord -scanbus' and 'cdrecord dev=ATA -scanbus'
> -     Your modprobe* files
>
>     Come to think of it, post your kernel version ('uname -r')
> and the above to the list before makin any changes.
>
> Tom
> -Kernel version=2.6.3-7mdk

      IIRC, that kernel uses ATA, and not ide-scsi.  Newer kernels
do use ide-scsi  (later 2.6.5 and now all 2.6.6)

> -Fstab:/dev/hda1 / ext3 defaults 1 1
>     - None /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
>     -/dev/hda6/home ext3 defaults 1 2
>     - /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto umask =o,user,iocharset=iso8859-
> 1,codepage=850,ro,exec 00

        You don't have supermount for your cd drive.  If you want
it, just run 'supermount -i enable'   It knows when and when not
to mount CD media.   Make sure your cd drive is in fact the
primary drive on the 2nd ide channel (hdc).

>     -none /mnt/floppy supermount
> dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=
>850,uma sk=0 0 0
>     -none /proc proc defaults 00
>     -/dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0
> -modprobe: -options i810fb xres=800 hsync1=32 hsync2=48
> vsync1=50 vsync2=70 vram=2 bpp=16 accel=1 mtrr=1
>        -install scsi_hostadapter ; /bin/true
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>        -install usb-interface /sbin/modprobe usb-uhci;
> /bin/true

    Remove or comment out (#) all ide-scsi and scsi_hostadapter
references in modprobe.conf and modprobe.preload.  Might as well
take any out of modules.conf, even tho your 2.6 kernel doesn't
use it. Back up any files you make changes to before you edit
them.  You might just need 'em later if you install a newer
kernel.

> The cdrecord -scanbus produced a long file. Included was:

     You need to use 'cdrecord dev=ATA -scanbus'

     After making all the changes above, it'd probly be easiest
just to reboot.  Your cd drive should then be working properly.
--
      Tom Brinkman                 Corpus Christi, Texas
               Proud to be an American

Thanks Tom and Derek for your replies. Haven't been able to connect to
the internet to check mail until today. Had to borrow a connection.
Followed your advice in first email,tom, and cd works. Have to get
modem up now. It is a conexant/riptide modem and sound system.
Linuxant put out drivers for modem and sound card for 9.1,9.2 and
everything worked fine. When I upgraded nothing worked even after
installing the new driver. Have requested help from linuxant but if
anybody has any ideas, I would appreciate help on getting connected
first and then the sound. I also have a us robotics usb modem if that
would be better to use. I may need to replace the sound card also to
avoid future problems. Anyway thanks for all the help.
John