> > I dual boot between Linux and W2k.  I store the shared data on a
 > > FAT. Whenever I write to it from Linux it almost always comes up
 > > corrupted.
 > >
 > > Is there some special setting I should have in my 'fstab' or
 > > something?
 > >
 > > It is so bad that it is basically useless.  I don't do anything
 > > special just open KWrite, enter some journal entries and exit.
 > >
 > > Thanks...David
 >
 > David, You may already know this but..
 > are you sure its FAT and not NTFS ..
 > I dont have W2K, but IIRC it uses NTFS and Linux can't write to
 > it. It can read NTFS .. just no writing to it.
 >
 > or it could be that kwrite is saving it in unix format which has a
 > different EOL character, so you could look into dos2unix, which will
 > convert between the 2 different types.
 >
 > or I could be way off with my guessing
 > HTH .. somehow 8)
 >
 > RickS

Thanks for the reply.  I am sure its FAT.  I create a 1GB FAT partition
(hda1)
for file tansfer.  W2K is NFTF (hda2).  I also boot to DOS on that partition
to run some old programs that only run under DOS.

Its not line endings or anything like that.  It file system corruption.
When
I run the DOS scandisk, it complains about cross linked files, unused
sectors,
etc.  The directory is messed up.  I regularly lose data for linux writes.

Its is wierd because sometimes even Linux will realize that the directory is
hosed (while I am working in a Linux session).

Thanks for the tips...David