Hi,

I'm new to Linux (Just got my copy of mandrake 10 this morning). I managed to partition my hard drive and install Mandrake with no problems (amazing, for a newbie klutz like me).

So far I really like the system - if it wasn't for a few vital programs that have no Linux equivalent, I would wave goodbye to windows forever.

Anyway, here's my question:

I have two PCs in a LAN. One is my Newbie Linux machine, the other runs Windows XP.

The Linux machine can see and transfer the files on the Windows machine with no trouble at all, which is great.

But the Linux machine seems to be invisible to the Windows machine. I'd be *really* grateful if someone can give me any tips how to fix this. Am I right in assuming that I have to set up the Linux machine as a Samba server (if that's the right term)?

As a second question, is there any easy way to make the Linux machine 'see' the windows partition on its own hard drive, so as to transfer files etc.

Please be gentle with me! My total knowledge of Linux so far only comes from an hour or so looking at the manuals.

Many thanks,

John