Have you guys seen this:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/04/19/nvidia_quadro_4000/

<quote> Nvidia is offering both Windows and Linux drivers for the part.

However, the company's 3D final-film rendering software, Gelato, also introduced today,
- largely because it can make use of a 64-bit processor. It also supports PCI Express and multi-threading, Nvidia said.

The $2750 application can be linked to existing film production systems, including Maya and Python. It provides accelerated scanline and ray-traced rendering, global illumination, ambient occlusion, and support for the full range of geometric primitives (NURBS, bicubic and bilinear patches, polygon meshes, subdivision surfaces, points, curves and procedural geometry) for true film-quality images. ®
</quote>

This might go a long way to really really establising linux as "THE" high end video processing platform of choice...
Thats got to be a good thing..
(I realise that Linux already has a pretty good standing in the high end video market, but this has got to help.)

-- rgds

Frank Hauptle (aka Franki)

For free scripts, online webmaster tools, HTML, XHTML, Perl & PHP tutorials and stuff, visit:
http://htmlfixit.com Free web developer resources.

Please sign our petition to encourage notebook manufacturers to offer video card upgrades just like desktops.
http://www.petitiononline.com/inspiron/petition.html